Rebel?! Tough guy/girl?! Idiot?! Drunk?! WHY?! Come on, you know you have thought these things when seeing someone with a tattoo or 50. Why is that though? Why do we judge people based on what they choose to permanently mark their bodies with? So what if you were drunk and in a different country, where they have no qualms about tattooing a bulldog on your bicep whilst (I like this word) you are drunk. Stuff the haters that say it’s stupid to drink before going to get inked simply because alcohol does something funky to your blood and well, you know, getting a tattoo is mainly just being stabbed with a needle hundreds of times… bottom line is. BLOOD happens.
It’s like people can’t just be happy. We judge people who have tattoos, we judge people who have one too many non-conservative piercings, we judge people who cut their hair in weird styles. Business in the front and PARTY at the back style… you know what I’m sayin’. WE are constantly judging the people who alter their looks based on what we can see. What about what we can’t see? Hmm? What about the botox and implants (front and back… I’m lookin at you J’Lo), what about the collagen, the nips and tucks, the nose jobs? What about the individual who had lost so much weight that drastic measures need to be taken to get rid of excess skin? We don’t judge them because, they must have had a bad self esteem so more power to them. And then these exact people will turn around and judge those that have visible changes or marks. You is all fake, don’t be telling me that my tattoo makes me less worthy. You can’t even smile, so stuff you.
Alllll of that being said, there is a line, surely? There must be space you get into where you look at yourself in the mirror and think, “I literally have no more uninked skin on my body, except for that little bit where my future kids should be coming from, maybe I should stop now?!” Or you know, “I literally do not recognise myself after the 5 nose jobs, the 3 brow lifts, collagen and what not?!”. The sad thing is, you can’t Ctrl+Z that shit. You can’t save and go back to before you started. Spyt kom altyd te laat. Hyt nie ‘n blerrie horlosie nie, maar hyt ‘n GPS!
Surely this is worse than tattoos??
Why all the hate on those that choose to mark their bodies visibly? I personally see it as a walking talking journal. Maybe you would learn something from these people if you took the time to sit and listen to the stories and events that inspired each of the pictures/words/signs on their body.
More to come… watch this space!
Lets start with a little Johnny!! Because he is awesome!
A phrase that I have been hit with a lot lately is SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE, I don’t like it! It makes people lie and eventually no one will be able to believe anything that anyone says because it’s not socially acceptable. I have found a few things that falls into the lies for acceptability category.
- Telling someone they have lost weight, but why can’t you tell them “oi, you chubbed out a little there.” Now, I know that some people are touchy about their weight and what not, but maybe if they were less touchy with food and more touchy with exercise this issue wouldn’t come up! I recently chubbed out and people just dont say it… I personally like it when people can be honest in the face of danger and tell me, “listen fatty, put the cupcake down and do 5 burpees!” My dad and brothers do this (not the burpees part) and I love them even more for it.
- Sarcasm instead of physical violence. I think sarcasm is a way of life, but I also think it can be a copout! There are many times where I resort to sarcasm because I do not have the money I would need to make bail. Seriously, some people do need to be punched in the face, or kicked in the kidneys but sadly all I have is sarcasm. Again, my brothers serve a purpose there, but I lose that battle every time. They are too big and strong for my sarcastic fists!
- Walking barefoot… in the city! No one would ever call you out on it but you can know that if you had the ability to read minds you would cry! I love walking barefoot, its freeing and less of a health hazard! (Some peeps have stinky situations). Now why is it socially acceptable to wear CROCS but I can’t enjoy a walk in a mall without shoes on?! I should move to a coastal city and live on the beach! No shoes ever needed!
Thats the life!!!
- Eating with a knife and fork – why not chopsticks all the time? Well, I know a lot of people struggle with eating with two oversized toothpicks, but why a knife and fork. Listen, if I want to eat a burger/ pizza or even a steak with my hand then let me be. Otherwise I will find a different use for the knife you are staring down your nose at!!
- Drinking with breakfast. Some mornings calls for a shot of jaggermeister AND aftershock before you poor the milk over your coco pops. Wimpy should start stocking hard liquor! With that, I think a shot with some chocolate cake should be acceptable for breakfast!
I’m pretty sure THAT isn’t socially acceptable… lemme at it!
- White picket fence life!! Now this is entirely my own feelings, and if you want to have a go at me for saying any of this then you are part of the problem that enforces this onto females. I’m not a feminist and, if you have not had the privilege to read any of my recent posts, I am not a lesbian, I just do not like the cookie cutter life. Oh, you are a young single female, you must be burning to get married and start a family? Oh, you have a boyfriend? When are you getting married? Oh you are married? When are you gonna start having kids? It never stops! It seems that if you are someone who is alone and not fussed then there is something wrong! F*#& that thinking!
- Aaaaand on that note… we have swearing… I agree with it being non-socially acceptable to swear, but I think swearing should be condoned… a little! I swear a lot! A LOT! Without swearing I would have to speak idiot and I can’t do that! I think working at a bar has brought out the pirate in me!! Har!!
Yo ho, yo ho the upstream life for me! As always…